MICA - The School of Ideas
Established: MICA was established in 1991 by A.G. Krishnamurthy of Mudra Communications as one the only advertising institute of its kind in Asia. It was set up to feed the growing Indian advertising industry with trained talent. It is located on the outskirts of the western Indian city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat, and has become one of the most prestigious communications management institutes in India.
MICA creates leaders in the field of communications management with specialisations in Advertising Management, Brand Management, Media Management and Research & Analytics. Its spirit lies in its contemporariness and its ability to address the needs of a changing environment. Today, it is the alma mater of professionals who are serving in the marketing, marketing research, advertising and media sectors, and emerging communications-driven businesses such as broadcasting, retail and design communication, and public relations and event & entertainment management.
Mission: To develop innovative professionals in the practice, development and management of communications to serve the needs of industry and society through education, research and advocacy
Motto : The School of Ideas
Academic Programmes: MICA currently offers the following programmes:
1) Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Communications) is a two-year residential programme for the study of Advertising Management, Brand Management, Media Management and Research and Analytics.
2) Fellow Program in Management-Communications- is a 3-year full time residential doctoral programme in communication discipline.
3) Crafting Creative Communications is a six-month certificate programme that imparts copywriting and art direction skills to young graduates with a creative and imaginative bent of mind.
4) Advertising Management and Public Relations is a one year online course including a campus visit for junior and middle level executives interested in the field of advertising and public relations.
5) Research and Data Analytics is a one year online course for students to foster objective data analysis strategies, apply critical thinking skills to data analysis, generate and validate solutions to a problem and communicate findings.
The core faculty at MICA has been developed with members both from academia and industry. Additionally, MICA gets visiting faculty that comes from other institutions, and also practitioners from the advertising, marketing, marketing research, public relations and media industries. Dr. Shailendra Raj Mehta is the current President at MICA.
MICA also invests heavily on research. It publishes a leading communications journal, Journal of Creative Communication, with articles in the area of marketing communications, communication management, mass and new media, development communication, culture studies and organisational communication.
In addition, MICA runs Management Development Programmes (MDPs) catering to middle and senior level managerial personnel and the Centre for Social and Development Communications which undertakes research projects and training programmes.
MICA is a Fulbright Affiliate Institute as well as an approved and accredited partner of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK. It is a member of Association of Asia Pacific Business Schools (AAPBS) and Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA). It has active international collaborations with renowned schools across the globe like ESCEM School of Business and Management, France ; Nanyang Technological University, Singapore ; Institute of Applied Media Studies, Zurich ; University of Angers, France ; University of Texas,Pan-American, USA ; Griffith University, Australia ; Southern Methodist University, Dallas, USA among others. These collaborations focus on faculty and student exchange and joint research.
The MICA campus is located on the outskirts of Ahmedabad over 19 acres of green verdant land. It has fully air-conditioned classrooms, with state of the art communication facilities and teaching aids, seminar halls, an auditorium, an open-air theatre, and a computer laboratory with 24*7 internet connectivity. Its library has a large collection of books and journals, besides having a huge database of the latest advertising campaigns and print advertisements. MICA has hostel accommodation for over 300 students with 24*7 internet connectivity in each room. It also has a café, a dining area and sports facilities like cricket grounds, tennis and volleyball courts and a gymnasium. MICA also runs a broadcasting centre for community radio.
Dr. Shailendra Raj Mehta, President,